CLINTON'S CABINET PICKS
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
* Born: San Antonio, Texas, June 11, 1947
* Education: BA, Texas A&M University, 1968; MA, Texas A&M, 1970; MA, Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, 1970; PhD, George Washington University, 1976.
* Military Service: US Army, 1968-1973; US Army Reserves, 1974-1978, resigned with rank of captain.
* Career: Administrative assistant, city manager's office, San Antonio, 1968-69; administrative assistant, city manager's office, Bryan, Texas, 1969-70; assistant director, Department of Model Cities, San Antonio, 1969-70; assistant to executive vice president, National League of Cities, 1970-71; White House Fellow, 1971-72; faculty member, University of Texas at San Antonio, Trinity University, 1974-87; San Antonio city councilman, 1975-81; San Antonio mayor (four terms), 1981-1989; president, National League of Cities, 1986; chairman, Cisneros Asset Management Co., 1989 to present.
* Personal: Married to Mary Alice Perez; three children.
* Assessment: He is credited with guiding San Antonio's economic resurgence. But his political career was sidetracked when Cisneros admitted having an extramarital affair. Clinton's appointment gives him a second chance.