Thomas (Mack) McLarty III
* Born: Hope, Ark., June 14, 1946
* Education: BA, University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, 1968.
* Military Service: None.
* Career: Arkansas state representative, 1969-71; president, McLarty Companies, Little Rock, Ark., 1971-79; chairman, Arkansas Democratic Party, 1974-76; member, board of directors, Arkansas-Louisiana Gas Company (Arkla), 1974 to present; president and chief operating officer, Arkla, 1983-1985; chairman and chief executive, Arkla, 1984 to present.
* Personal: Married to Donna Kay Cochran; two children.
* Assessment: A close friend and confidant of Clinton's, he is known for his low-key management style and friendliness. But he is an outsider to Washington and has never worked in the federal government.