AQUINO SAYS NO TO MARCOS RETURN
MANILA — President Corazon Aquino Monday rejected a reported offer from Ferdinand Marcos's widow, Imelda, for a compromise on his possible burial in the Philippines. ``Her position against the return ... of the remains of former President Marcos is based on considerations of national interest and security. It cannot be the subject of compromise,'' a presidential palace statement said.
The Manila newspaper Malaya in a Honolulu report quoted Mrs. Marcos as saying she was willing to meet with Aquino when the latter visited Washington in November.
Mrs. Marcos brushed aside allegations by some Manila officials linking her to an alleged plot to assassinate Aquino as part of a conspiracy for an opposition takeover of government.
The Philippine Senate Monday agreed to conduct a formal inquiry on the alleged assassination plot, which the military disclosed last week during a briefing given to Aquino and select legislators.