No social security for prisoners

I want to know if there is any way a man in prison can draw from his social security while he is incarcerated. If I can, how do I go about obtaining my money? -- M. C.

Formerly prisoners could obtain social security benefits while incarcerated. With Public Law 96-473, however, effective beginning October 1980, Congress suspended eligibility for social security benefits for people convicted of a felony and incarcerated. People convicted of a misdemeanor may obtain social security benefits while incarcerated. Those eligible even though incarcerated should contact a local social security office. A representative from that office will visit the prison or other facility to take an application.

Readers are invited to send questions to Moneywise, Box 102, Mercer Island, Wash. 98040. Only a selection of such questions covering topics of general interest can be answered here, and no question can be individually acknowledged. References to specific stocks, funds, or other investments in this column are intended for the general information of readers and not as an endorsement or recommendation by The Christian Science Monitor.m

of 5 stories this month > Get unlimited stories
You've read 5 of 5 free stories

Only $1 for your first month.

Get unlimited Monitor journalism.