US, Japan still strive for auto-export accord

Talks aimed at finding a way of restraining Japan's booming car exports to the United States ran into problems and the officials will try again for a settlement today (May 1), informed sources said. Japanese Trade Minister Rokusuke Tanaka sounded out chief US trade negotiator Bill Brock on a three-year cutback plan that calls for shipments being restricted to about 1.7 million cars this year, compared with last year's record exports of 1.82 million. Mr. Tanaka indicated the two sides differed on the number of cars involved, the so urces said. But he was quoted as saying it did not mean the situation was hopeless.

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...