Flame-resistant paints for specific uses

Q. Is there a flame-resistant or flame-retardant substance that can be painted on the framework of a very old house? Mrs. Evelyn E. Ramsey Oatman, Ariz.

A. Flame-resistant paints are available from at least two manufacturers here in the West. They are: Barnard Chemical Company, 21050 East Arrow Highway, Covina, Calif. 91724 (213-331-1223) and the Synkoloid Company, 3113 East 26th Street, Los Angeles, Calif. 90023 (213-268-2761)

Let the companies know of your specific use and need so they can make a solid recommendation of a precise flame-resistant material and method. You may want to work through your local paint dealer.

Larger building-supply houses offer fire- retardant panels, which also may be worth your consideration.

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.