Gift of house uncomplicated

Is it possible to give a $3,000 share in our home to each of our children each year until the market value is depleted -- not only to avoid probate but to keep a nursing home from getting the family homestead?

Several problems are inherent in your plan. Unless you have significant other assets, attemptin to give children your home in $3,000 increments to avoid a gift tax may be unnecessary. Your unified tax credit for federal gift and estate taxes for 1980 is $42,500, the equivalent of the tax on a net estate of $ 161,563. That tax credit increases to $47,000 for 1981 and later.

Giving small chunks of a house to several children requires a complicated legal document that will probably be more expensive and more trouble than probating a will that would convey the property to your children. Joint ownership is no substitute for a well-conceived, valid will. Your comment about a nursing home getting the family homestead appears irrelevant if other steps are taken. I suggest that you contact a lawyer to work out your plans.

You've read  of  free articles. Subscribe to continue.
QR Code to Gift of house uncomplicated
Read this article in
QR Code to Subscription page
Start your subscription today