Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

  • Advertisements

Yemeni defense minister unhurt after deadly bomb attack (+video)

13 people, including part of the minister's security detail, were killed when a car bomb exploded as the minister's motorcade was driving by in the Yemeni capital.

By Ahmed Al-Haj, Associated Press / September 11, 2012

Yemeni soldiers gather at the site of a car bomb attack targeting the motorcade of the country's defense minister in Sanaa, Yemen, Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012. Yemeni officials say a car bomb targeting the motorcade of the country's defense minister has killed several people, but the minister escaped unharmed.

Hani Mohammed/AP

Enlarge

Sanaa, Yemen

A car bomb struck the Yemeni defense minister's motorcade as he was driving through the nation's capital Tuesday, killing at least 13 people but leaving the minister unharmed, security officials said.

Skip to next paragraph
Yemeni officials say a car bomb struck the defense minister's motorcade as he was driving through the nation's capital, Sanaa, killing at least 13 people but leaving the minister unharmed.

The minister, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Nasser Ahmed, has been the target of several failed assassination attempts in the past. The blast hit the minister's convoy as it was traveling through Sanaa on the way to a Cabinet meeting.

Eight of the minister's security guards were among the 13 people killed, the security officials said. The other five dead were civilian bystanders. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Tuesday's attack, but it bore the hallmarks of al-Qaida and came a day after Yemeni authorities announced the death of the No. 2 leader of the network's Yemeni branch in an apparent U.S. airstrike.

Al-Qaida's Yemeni franchise is seen as the world's most active, planning and carrying out attacks against targets in Yemen as well as in the U.S. The group took advantage of the political vacuum during unrest inspired by the Arab Spring last year to seize control of large swaths of land in southern Yemen.

But the Yemeni military has launched a broad U.S.-backed offensive and driven the movement from several towns.

The death of al-Qaida in Yemen's No. 2 leader amounted to a major breakthrough for U.S. efforts to cripple the group in Yemen, which is considered a crucial battleground with the terror network. The impoverished nation on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula is on the doorstep of Saudi Arabia and fellow oil-producing nations of the Gulf and lies on strategic sea routes leading to the Suez Canal.

IN PICTURES: Yemen unrest

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Estela de Carlotto has spent nearly 34 years searching for her own missing grandson.

Estela de Carlotto hunts for Argentina's grandchildren 'stolen' decades ago

Estela de Carlotto heads the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo, who seek to reunite children taken from their mothers during Argentina's military dictatorship with their real families.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!