U.S. seeking options in Chinese activist's case

Chen Guangcheng's statement that he wants to leave China has complicated high-level talks between Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the Chinese government.

(AP Photo/U.S. Embassy Beijing Press Office, HO)
Blind lawyer Chen Guangcheng, in wheel chair, meets his wife Yuan Weijing, right, daughter Chen Kesi, in blue shirt at second right, and son Chen Kerui, left, at a hospital in Beijing, Wednesday, May 2, 2012. U.S. ambassador to China, Gary Locke stands at Chen's right.

U.S. officials scrambled to come up with options Friday after a blind activist reversed course and asked to leave China with his family, abandoning an arduously negotiated agreement after he left the protection of the U.S. Embassy for a Beijing hospital ringed by Chinese police.

Alone with his wife and children, Chen Guangcheng periodically switched on a cell phone Thursday to tell friends and foreign media he felt scared and wanted to go abroad, and that he had not seen U.S. officials in over a day.

He even called in to a congressional hearing in Washington, telling lawmakers he wanted to meet with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is in Beijing this week. "I hope I can get more help from her," Chen said.

Chen's high-profile effort to keep his case in the public eye increased pressure on Washington and embarrassed Beijing as it hosted Clinton and other U.S. officials for annual talks on global political and economic hotspots.

U.S. officials said they would speak with Chen and his wife again Friday, then approach the Chinese with possible options. They did not say what those options could be, or if they expected to visit Chen in person. They were unable to do so Thursday, when they spoke to him by telephone.

Clinton, who will meet with President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao, is expected to raise Chen's case. She will also hold a news conference later Friday.

Chen last week escaped his rural home where local officials had kept him under house arrest for years. He made it to the U.S. Embassy, where he stayed for six days before the U.S. and China reached a deal that would allow him to stay in China, as he had requested. But hours after leaving the embassy Wednesday he said he and his family would not be safe unless they left the country.

Taken aback at Chen's change of heart, U.S. diplomats spent much of Thursday trying to confirm the family wanted to leave, and eventually said they would try to help him. Still, it remained unclear how they might do so now that he has left the embassy, or whether the Chinese would be willing to renegotiate a deal that both sides thought had been settled a day earlier.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Mark Toner confirmed U.S. officials weren't able to see Chen in person Thursday but spoke twice with him by telephone, and once with his wife, Yuan Weijing, outside the hospital.

"It's our desire to meet with him tomorrow or in the coming days," Toner said. "But I can't speak to whether we'll have access to him. I just don't know."

Earlier, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said U.S. officials would continue to work with Chen and his wife to try to find a satisfactory new solution. "We need to consult with them further to get a better sense of what they want to do and consider their options," Nuland said.

Meanwhile, the Obama administration's handling of the case drew sharp criticism from Mitt Romney and Republican lawmakers. Campaigning in Virginia, the Republican presidential candidate said reports that American officials allowed Chen to leave the embassy represented a "dark day for freedom" and a "day of shame for the Obama administration."

Rep. Frank Wolf, a fierce Beijing critic, told the congressional hearing held to discuss Chen's case that the Obama administration's handling of it was "naive," adding that "a purported diplomatic triumph evolved into a diplomatic fiasco."

In a phone call from his hospital room in Beijing, Chen told lawmakers: "I want to meet with Secretary Clinton. ... I want to thank her face to face."

He also expressed fears for the lives of his other family members, including his mother and brothers, and voiced concern that people in his home village were suffering retribution for helping him.

"I want to thank all of you for all your care and all your love," he concluded, speaking in Chinese that was translated into English by a rights activist at the hearing.

A self-taught lawyer, the 40-year-old Chen became an international human rights figure and inspiration to many ordinary Chinese after running afoul of local government officials for exposing forced abortions and sterilizations carried out as part of China's one-child policy. Until his escape last week, his nearly seven years in prison and abusive house arrest with his wife, 6-year-old daughter and mother fueled outrage and added to his stature — and in turn upped the stakes for Washington in helping him.

Chen said throughout his six-day stay at the U.S. Embassy that his desire was to remain in China with his family, and U.S. diplomats said that was their goal in negotiations with Chinese officials.

After several days of talks, U.S. officials said they extracted a guarantee that Chen would be relocated outside his home province to a university town where he could formally study law. U.S. officials said they would periodically monitor his situation, though they did not specify how.

But hours after a gleeful Chen left the U.S. compound, he changed his mind, driven in part by his wife's tales of abuse and retribution in the days after Chen managed to escape from his rural farmhouse.

Under the deal that brought him out of the embassy, the family was reunited and taken to Chaoyang Hospital, where Chen was treated for a foot injured in his escape. There, Chen's wife told him what had happened after local officials discovered he was gone.

She "told him his family was tied to chairs and interrogated by police, and that his nephew attacked somebody and is on the run outside and might be in life-threatening dangers," said Li Jinsong, Chen's lawyer. "These things undoubtedly have left an impact on him."

Chen also felt abandoned by the U.S., finding no embassy staff at the hospital to assure his protection.

"The embassy told me that they would have someone accompany me the whole time," he told The Associated Press in a telephone interview late Wednesday. "I felt they did not tell me the truth on this issue."

On Thursday, Chen sent a message through a friend clarifying that he does not seek asylum from the U.S. but wants to travel or study in the U.S. temporarily. He mentioned he was considering an invitation to visit New York University.

In the Chinese language statement released via email and on the Internet, Chen said he was grateful to Clinton and other U.S. officials and did not feel pressured or forced to leave the U.S. Embassy and did so of his own free will.

An activist lawyer and friend of Chen's, Jiang Tianyong, tried to visit him at the hospital Thursday evening but was taken away by police, Jiang's wife said. Another activist, Zeng Jinyan, who tweeted her conversation with Chen late Wednesday, said in postings Thursday that state security agents told her not to discuss the case anymore.

The unraveling of the deal that set Chen free puts Washington and Beijing at odds at a time both governments are trying to contain their ever sharper jostling for influence around the world.

Having involved itself in the fate of an activist of Chen's stature, the Obama administration can ill afford to abandon him and risk election-year criticism. China's authoritarian leadership is also in the midst of a once-a-decade transition to younger leaders in which taking a hard line against dissent and foreign meddling is politically safe.

Among the issues to be resolved is whether China will negotiate over its citizens, and if it lets the Chens go, whether they will be allowed to return.

With Chen no longer at the embassy, Washington seemed to have little sway. China's authoritarian government dislikes human rights negotiations in general, seeing its treatment of its citizens as a domestic affair. In Chen's case, the Foreign Ministry has criticized the U.S. for bringing a Chinese citizen into the embassy and harboring him.

"The U.S. has now forfeited a great deal — though not all — leverage in the situation. Possession, as they say, is nine-tenths of the law," said Don Keyser, a retired career foreign service officer who served several tours in Beijing.

Keyser, who was involved in negotiations with Beijing after astrophysicist Fang Lizhi sought refuge in the U.S. Embassy after the Tiananmen Square crackdown in 1989, said U.S. officials might have sought a too-hasty resolution to Chen's case ahead of the two-day high-level talks with Clinton that opened Thursday.

of stories this month > Get unlimited stories
You've read  of  free articles. Subscribe to continue.

Unlimited digital access $11/month.

Get unlimited Monitor journalism.