Presidential hopeful Donald Trump has raised a furor since announcing his White House bid last week, with a growing number of companies cutting ties with the GOP candidate following controversial statements he made about Mexican immigrants at his opening campaign event.
In the latest blow to Mr. Trump’s business empire, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said that city officials have launched a review of all city contracts with the real estate developer.
Trump’s company currently operates a number of concessions in the city, including a golf course, an ice skating rink, and a carousel.
During the announcement of his candidacy, he said immigrants from Mexico are "bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists, and some, I assume, are good people." He also said he supported a border wall between Mexico and the United States.
Mayor de Blasio made his thoughts on the real estate mogul’s comments known in a statement released on Wednesday.
"Donald Trump's remarks were disgusting and offensive, and this hateful language has no place in our city," de Blasio said. "Trump's comments do not represent the values of inclusion and openness that define us as New Yorkers. Our Mexican brothers and sisters make up an essential part of this city's vibrant and diverse community, and we will continue to celebrate and support New Yorkers of every background."
The Trump company has also been struggling to keep their various pageants from falling apart ahead of the Miss USA pageant scheduled for next week in Baton Rouge, La.
The Miss USA website currently lists no performers after rapper Flo Rida, country singer Craig Wayne Boyd, and pop singer Natalie La Rose have dropped out in recent days.
Emmitt Smith, the former Dallas Cowboys running back who was scheduled to be a judge for the event, has backed out citing the real estate mogul’s comments.
The pageant also lost both of its co-hosts, Cheryl Burke of "Dancing With the Stars" and MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts. Television fashion personality Jeannie Mai told People magazine that she would remain as a host of the pageant, even though she took issue with what Trump said.
Miss USA issued a statement earlier this week that said "we are disheartened by recent events but the show will go on."
Trump's comments drew condemnation from the Mexican government and under pressure from activists and petitions the companies willing to do business with the businessman and reality show star have been dwindling by the day.
Macy’s recently announced they were pulling Trump merchandise of the shelves. "We have no tolerance for discrimination in any form," the company said. "We welcome all customers, and respect for the dignity of all people is a cornerstone of our culture."
Macy’s announcement follows a bevy of businesses cutting ties with Trump including NBC, which broadcasted Trump’s popular show “The Apprentice” as well as his Miss USA pageant.
For his part, Trump is railing against the corporate backlash.
"Both Macy's and NBC totally caved at the first sight of potential difficulty with special interest groups who are nothing more than professional agitators," Trump said.
When Univision announced they would cease to air Miss Universe and all Trump-backed pageants, Trump announced he was suing the television company.