I’ll admit that I was skeptical about this flavor combo, and skeptical about putting whole cranberries in my oatmeal. I thought they might be sour bombs of terror, despite the fact that I love them 100%.
They turned out to be SO GOOD! Like, little bombs of HEAVEN in each bite of oatmeal! I like that they introduce quite a bit more moisture, which is sometimes my complaint with oatmeal — monotonous dense oatmeal texture. These not only have little cranberry bursts, but crunch pistachios, too.
Cranberry pistachio baked oatmeal
Serves 6 to 8
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt
1-3/4 cups milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cups pistachios, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Use the butter to grease an 8x8" baking dish or 9" loaf pan.
2. Combine the brown sugar, salt, milk, egg, and vanilla. Use a whisk to mix until the egg is totally combined and the mixture is smooth.
3. Add the oats, then most of the pistachios and cranberries (save a little bit for sprinkling on the top).
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes. The mixture should be set and beginning to turn golden on top.
5. Serve with half & half, yogurt, or any other topping you want!
Related post on The Kitchen Paper: Cranberry scones