Peppermint-chocolate chocolate chip cookies
These rich, chocolatey cookies with a hint of holiday peppermint are perfect for shipping and swapping.
As we wind down the year, many of us are deep in the jungle of making holiday treats and cookies. And what a great time of year that is! Baking cookies always makes me happy.
And as part of my cookie baking festivities, this year I have decided to take part in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. Food bloggers from all over have given a charitable donation to be able to participate in the cookie swap. Then each of us bakes up a cookie recipe, which we later post on our blogs (this post is mine), and the cookies we bake we send off to three participating bloggers as a holiday surprise. In return, each of us receives a dozen cookies from three other bloggers.
The swap has been graciously hosted by Julie at The Little Kitchen and Lindsay at Love and Olive Oil. Thank you, ladies, for being so generous with your time and efforts! It is so worth it to help children in need!
My cookies are peppermint chocolate chip cookies, which I know will be received well and also would ship fabulously. No sense in making delicate cookies if they won’t arrive intact!
Here are some other tips for shipping cookies:
- Choose cookies that are not so delicate and won’t break easily.
- Wrap each cookie individually inside of a cookie tin or other sturdy container.
- Place the cookie tin inside of a shipping box with lots of good padding, such as bubble wrap or packing peanuts.
- Make sure the inner tin cannot shift around from its bouncy ride during delivery.
- Don’t forget to properly address the cookies or it will be coming right back to you!
Happy Holidays to all from Palatable Pastime!
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 36 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large pastured organic eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa-powder, sifted
10 ounces dark chocolate chips
1 cup crushed peppermint candies (candy canes), divided
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cream together butter and sugars in an electric mixer until smooth.
3. Add eggs one at a time as well as vanilla; mix until smooth.
4. Stir together sifted flours and coca with baking soda and salt.
5. Gradually add to mixer to form a dough. Scrape the bottom to get all the flour mixed in.
6. Fold in the dark chocolate chips and half of the crushed peppermint candy.
7. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a silpat lined baking sheet.
8. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes.
9. After removing from the oven, immediately top each cookie with a bit more candies while they are soft and tap down lightly so the candy sticks.
10. Cool cookies another minute on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Related post on A Palatable Pastime: Candy Cane blossom cookies