This is a very simple and heart soup recipe to make in your slow cooker to warm you up on a cold chilly day.
Slow cooker beef barley soup
Serves 6 to 8
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 1-1/2 pounds beef chuck (roast, or stewing beef, cut into small pieces)
6 ounces mushrooms, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 large carrot, diced
1 small leek (white and light green parts only), well rinsed and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1-1/2 cups dried barley
Salt and black pepper
1. Heat oil in a large skillet and add beef, cooking until it is well browned.
2. While beef is browning, place all ingredients except water, salt and pepper into the bottom of a 3-quart slow cooker.
3. Add enough water to cover, and stir gently until tomato paste is mixed in.
4. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
5. Add beef to slow cooker (adding it last helps keep the veggies down in the water).
6. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until carrots and barley are tender.
Related post on A Palatable Pastime: Spicy black-eyed pea soup