What's a 'crownie?' A cookie combined with a brownie of course! With a Rolo candy in the middle this treat is a chewy, fudgy, cakey delight.
This is my version of a Rolo-stuffed chocolate chip cookie/fudge brownie combo: A chocolate chip cookie base with a Rolo perched atop it covered in brownie batter and baked to gooey goodness. "Crownie" is cookie + brownie. My other option was to call them "Brookies" or brownies + cookies but that seemed a little too cutesy. Plus I liked how the rolo looks like a pseudo crown when you slice into it.
You can use just about any chocolate chip cookie recipe and brownie recipe for this. It's best to use a chocolate chip cookie recipe that's more chewy than cakey and a brownie recipe that's more fudgy/chewy than cakey. Otherwise, the sky's the limit.
I also baked a dozen versions with a generous dollop of nutella in the middle. I didn't get to try the finished product of that version so I'm not sure how it turned out but I assume it was good.
Chocolate chip cookie layer
2-1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
1 stick/8 tablespoons unsalted softened butter
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup all-purpose all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray mini muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Make the chocolate chip cookie dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the melted butter and sugars together until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on low, just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Pat a tablespoon (or so) of cookie dough into the bottom of the mini muffin tins, lining bottom completely and going halfway up the sides. Place a Rolo caramel candy in the center of each cavity.
5. Make the brownie batter: Melt butter and chocolate chips together in the top half of a double boiler set over hot water. Stir until smooth. Add flour, salt and sugars. Mix a few times then add egg yolks and oil. Mix until well combined.
6. Pour enough batter to cover each Rolo/chocolate chip cookie cup until 2/3 full in the mini muffin tin and Rolo is covered completely. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the side of the brownie (avoid the Rolo) comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.