2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract/
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15- x 10-inch jelly roll pan or a 9- x 13-inch pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix well with a wire whisk.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk and baking soda. Mix well with wire whisk.
4. In a pan on top of the stove, melt butter, add cocoa and water. Bring to a boil. Remove from stove and pour into flour mixture and mix until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
5. Add egg and milk mixture and continue mixing just until all ingredients are wet. Pour into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, testing for doneness at 20 minutes. If baking in a 9- x 13-inch pan, it may take a little longer. (I baked in a 9- x 13-inch pan and it took 35 minutes.) Remove from oven and pour frosting over warm cake.
7 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Toasted pecans or walnuts, optional
Bring milk, butter and cocoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar, vanilla and nuts if using. Spread over warm cake immediately.
Read the full post on Stir It Up!