This dish would be excellent with a handful of nuts thrown in at the end (walnuts or almonds) and feta could be substituted for the goat cheese.
Yield: 6 servings
4 large beets
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of sea salt and ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
small handful of fresh parsley, torn
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C.)
2. In a large roasting pan, add the beets, onion, olive oil, salt, ground pepper, dried oregano, thyme, chili flakes and balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat and disperse ingredients. Spread out in a single layer at the bottom of the pan and dot the top with butter.
3. Roast for 1 hour. Drain off liquid into a small sauce pan and reserve. Return to oven for an additional 2-1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.
4. Over a medium heat, add additional balsamic vinegar and simmer until thickened, around 3 minutes. Swirl pain occasionally to keep from burning.
5. Drizzle over balsamic reduction. Add goat cheese and parsley and gently toss. Serve warm or room temperature.
Read the full post on Stir It Up!