14 ounces diced fire roasted tomatoes
Pinch ground cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 medium onion
2 to 4 cloves garlic
2 fresh serrano or jalapeno chiles, stemmed and seeded
1 poblano chile, seeded and stemmed
Salt and pepper
4-6 large flour tortillas
1 to 1-1/2 cups grated or crumbled cotija cheese (or other melting cheese)
1 cup sour cream (optional)
1. Saute onion, garlic, serranos, poblano pepper in olive oil until softened.
2. Cool mixture enough to process in a food processor with the fire roasted tomatoes (and their juice), ground cumin, salt and black pepper, pulsingmixture a few times to get a “chunky salsa” consistency.
3. Takeflour tortillas, and place on a heated griddle.
4. Sprinkle grated cotija or other melting cheese on one half of the tortilla, then fold the top over and brown on both sides as you would grilled cheese.
5. Serve quesadillas cut into wedges with a pizza cutter, along with dollops of ranchera sauce and sour cream.