1-1/2 pounds yellow squash, chopped
2 cups chopped sweet onion
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons vegetable base
4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sour cream
Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
1. In a large soup pot, saute the squash, onion, and bell pepper in oil until the onion becomes translucent.
2. While vegetables are cooking, stir together the vegetable base with hot water (or use /homemade/canned vegetable broth.)
3. Season vegetables with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic, then stir in the broth and simmer on low for about 25-30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool somewhat, then purée in a food processor or with a stick immersion blender until smooth.
5. Whisk in the sour cream and grated nutmeg, then gently warm until hot enough to serve, but do not boil at this point.
6. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese, if desired