2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried sage
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon curry
2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 15-ounce canned pumpkin
1/4 butternut squash, roasted or cooked
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 13.-5-ounce can coconut milk
1 cup cooked brown rice
Squeeze of lime juice
Sour cream, to garnish
1. Cook the brown rice according to instructions.
2. If you need to cook your squash, a shortcut is to slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, wrap the top half in plastic, and microwave for 8 minutes in a microwavable dish. Wait a few minutes before peeling back the plastic wrap because the squash will be very hot. Otherwise, you can roast face down in a pan with 1-inch of water for about 20 minutes in a 400 degree F. oven.
3. Melt the butter in a large soup pan. Add onion and sage and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Stir in flour and curry and gradually add broth, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened over medium-high heat.
5. Stir in pumpkin, butternut squash, apple, honey, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and nutmeg. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Use an immersion blender to work out any lumps, or ladle into a blender in parts, then return to the pot.
7. Stir in coconut milk and cooked rice, and heat through. Be sure to stir constantly or the rice will stick to the bottom.
8. Add a squeeze of fresh lime. Garnish with sour cream and chives. Serve.