1/2 cup chopped onion
4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
3-5 chopped garlic cloves
1/2 cup dry red wine, such as cabernet [editor's note: can omit or substitute cooking wine]
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
3 cups chopped Italian tomatoes
salt and black pepper
9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini
1 tablespoon basil pesto
5 ounces baby kale
1 cup grated Asiago cheese
1. In a heavy bottomed soup pot, saute the onion, mushrooms, and garlic in olive oil until soft.
2. Take pan off heat, stir in wine, then return to heat and cook until most of the wine evaporates.
3. Add chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add salt and black pepper to your taste.
4. Stir in tortellini and cook as long as your package directs.
5. When tortellini is tender, add the basil pesto and kale, stirring until the kale wilts.
6. Remove soup from heat and stir in the Asiago cheese.
7. Serve hot, sprinkled with more cheese if desired.