1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium to large sweet potato, peeled and diced into even-sized chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
1 2-ounce sausage, cut into chunks and cooked
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, mild or sharp
Cooked kernels from 1 ear of corn
2 strips bacon, crisp, crumbled
2 mini boules, centers cut out (reserve tops)
1 green onion, green top chopped for garnish (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a medium or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato chunks and stir fry until tender but not mushy, stirring with a wooden spoon to cook evenly. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. Add sausage and cook until heated through. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour to make a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk and the chicken broth, whisking the mixture smooth. Add sour cream and whisk smooth. Add shredded cheddar cheese and whisk until melted smooth.
4. Add sweet potatoes, sausage and fresh corn kernels. Let simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened to desired consistency.
5. Heat mini boules at 350 degrees F until insides are very lightly browned. You can butter the tops and brown them in the oven if desired. Remove boules from oven and fill with chowder. Garnish with crumbled crisp bacon and green onion if desired.