3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1 large potato)
2-1/2 cups chopped green cabbage
1 large onion, chopped
8 cups vegetable broth
6 2-inch diameter beets, peeled and chopped (beet juice will stain everything!)
1 cup chopped tomatoes (drain, if using canned tomatoes)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy, large pot over medium high heat.
2. Add potatoes, cabbage and onion, and sauté until cabbage softens, about 5 minutes.
3. Add broth, beets, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
4. With an immersion blender, blend until most of the vegetable chunks have been pureed. Or, working in small batches puree 4 cups of the soup in a blender, and then return to the pot.
5. Add lemon juice, season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve into bowls, garnish with a dollop of sour cream and chopped parsley.