Vacationing on the family plan takes many to water's edge
Beach season is fast approaching, which means many families soon will be gathering up the sunscreen, towels, and plastic pails and shovels for their annual pursuit of sand and surf. According to a survey by the online website TripAdvisor, 78 percent of families with children 18 years of age or younger will make a trip to a beach this year. It says the vast majority (92 percent) will search out family-friendly beaches, with clean sand, gentle waves, and amenities such as picnic areas and playgrounds. The top 10, according to TripAdvisor:
1. Nags Head Beach, Outer Banks, N.C.
2. St. George Island State Park, St. George Island, Fla.
3. Glorietta Bay Beach, Coronado, Calif.
4. Bowman's Beach, Sanibel Island, Fla.
5. Hilton Head Island Beach, Hilton Head, S.C.
6. Indiana Dunes State Park Beach, Michigan City, Ind.
7. Bathtub Beach, Stuart, Fla.
8. Stewart Beach, Galveston, Texas
9. Higbee Beach, Cape May, N.J.
10. Mayo Beach, Wellfleet (Cape Cod), Mass.