Want to ignite that ol' college spirit? Then sing a fight song
There's nothing like a rousing fight song to energize and inspire college sports fans. Many of the best, retired Northern Illinois University Prof. William Studwell believes, are from the Midwest. Studwell, an academic librarian, has researched this musical genre as well as anthems and Christmas carols. His personal favorite fight song: Notre Dame's "Victory March," which begins, "Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame." The words and music were written by two brothers who graduated from the South Bend, Ind., school in the early 1900s. The 10 "best, most famous, and most stirring" fight songs in Studwell's estimation, with the title of each:
1. Notre Dame: "Notre Dame Victory March"
2. University of Michigan: "The Victors"
3. University of Wisconsin: "On Wisconsin"
4. Yale: "Down on the Field"
5 and 6. (tie) US Naval Academy: "Anchors Aweigh" and University of Maine: "Stein Song"
7. University of Southern California: "Fight On, USC"
8. Georgia Tech: "Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech"
9. University of Texas: "The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You"
10. Ohio State: "Across the Field"