Planning a vacation next year that would include a stop in Singapore? Then you can expect to be recruited to visit the city-state's latest tourist attraction: Newater. Newater? According to the just-printed glossy brochures for distribution to travel agents, it's a high-tech processing plant that turns sewage into drinkable water to help ease the local shortage. You'll be treated to a one-hour guided tour, a video presentation ... and a free sample bottle of the finished product to take home.
From New Zealand comes word of a new study that has found the safest cars are those painted silver. Researchers studied more than 1,000 motorists in the late 1990s. After controlling for such other criteria as the gender and ages of the drivers, the ages of their vehicles, and the use of seat belts, the scientists concluded that silver cars were 50 percent less likely to be involved in a serious accident than those painted white, with an elevated risk associated with brown, black, and green cars.
Rap artist 50 Cent was the most searched-for person by online computer users in 2003, according to data compiled by America Online, the world's leading Internet service provider. He displaces pop diva Britney Spears, who held the title the previous two years. AOL's top 10:
1. 50 Cent
2. Britney Spears
3. Paris Hilton (socialite costar of reality series "The Simple Life" on Fox)
4. Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers star charged with sexual assault)
5. Eminem (rap artist)
6. Christine Aguilera (singer)
7. Jennifer Lopez (singer-actress)
8. Oprah Winfrey (publisher, TV talk-show host)
9. Justin Timberlake (singer, 'N Sync)
10. Tupac Shakur (deceased rap icon) - Business Wire