McDonald's is ranked No. 1 minority-friendly company
McDonald's Corp., the fast-food giant, jumped from fifth place last year to top Fortune magazine's sixth annual list of the best companies in the US for involvement of persons from minority groups. More than 140 employers took part in Fortune's survey of minority representation - from the executive board to the general workforce to franchise ownership to purchasing needed materials from minority-owned vendors. The magazine's top 10, and where each is based:
1. McDonald's, Oak Brook, Ill.
2. Fannie Mae, Washington
3. Denny's, Spartanburg, S.C.
4. Union Bank of California, San Francisco
5. Sempra Energy, San Diego
6. Southern California Edison, Rosemead, Calif.
7. SBC Communications, San Antonio, Texas
8. Freddie Mac, McLean, Va.
9. PepsiCo, Purchase, N.Y.
10. PNM Resources, Albuquerque, N.M.