* Born: Brooklyn, June 20, 1952.
* Education: BA, University of California at Berkeley, 1974; JD, Boalt Law School, University of California at Berkeley, 1977.
* Military service: None.
* Career: Law clerk, Federal District Judge Albert Wollenberg, Northern California, 1977-78; attorney-adviser, Department of Justice's Office of Legal Counsel, 1979-80; associate counsel, White House, 1980-81; partner, O'Melveny & Myers, Washington, D.C., office, 1981-86; counsel, General Electric Co., 1986-90; senior vice president and general counsel, Aetna Life & Casualty Insurance, 1990 to present.
* Personal: Married to Paul Gewirtz; one son.
* Assessment: Baird is the first woman to become chief lawyer of a major US insurance company and now becomes the first female attorney general. Although she has never litigated a case, she has as much legal experience as many previous occupants of the office.