* Born: Detroit, Michigan, March 27, 1944
* Education: Roosevelt University, Chicago, 1972-73 (no degree); Assoc. Degree, Chicago City College, 1969-72; Catholic University, 1967 (no degree).
* Military Service: US Marine Corps, 1963-1966; received Purple Heart, Presidential Unit Citation, Vietnam Service Medal, and other medals.
* Career: Assoc. national service officer (NSO), Disabled American Veterans (DAV), 1967-73; asst. supervisor NSO, DAV, 1973; supervisory NSO, DAV, 1973-76; supervisor, National Appeals Office, DAV, 1976-81; executive director, DAV, 1988 to present.
* Personal: Married to Sylvia Brown; two children.
* Assessment: In most cases, Clinton has appointed Cabinet officers who do not come from the ranks of the group they will supervise - e.g., Commerce Secretary Ron Brown is not a businessman, Health and Human Services Secretary Donna Shalala is not a doctor. He breaks that pattern with Brown's appointment.