The Winter Games: picking a package
Tickets for all events seem to be plentiful, with ice hockey events the most popular. You must buy a one-week or two-week package, and event tickets must be purchased for every day. The packages are bewildering to compare, as they all include different things and offer different types of accommodations.
Very roughly, the average two-week package costs between $2,100 and $2,600 for the land portion only. In most cases that includes at least two meals, tickets to the events, and transfers. Air fares from New York are a little over
There are a few programs for those interested in roughing it. Megavent International has a student plan that costs $999 (plus 15 percent tax) for two weeks. Tickets (figure 13 of these at $20 - $80 each) and meals are not included.
CJS Travel will rent a whole apartment to a group of students, and they can fill it with as many people as they want.
If I were going, I'd get all the brochures my local travel agent has, then send for others on the list. Besides events and accommodations, other things to keep in mind are whether or not the tour is escorted, whether tickets are reserved seating or not, and whether the tax (a hefty 15 percent) is included.
Travel agents offering Olympic packages:
* Megavent International, 310 Madison Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10017 (212) 697- 9410.
* USA Intersport, 326 Commercial Street, Boston, Mass. 02109 (617) 720-4070.
* Plane Travel, 4011 Penn Belt Place, Forestville, Md. 20747; (301) 736-5732.
* CJS Travel, 447 Blue Road, Coral Gables, Fla. 33146; (305) 661-7826 (call collect).
* Global Sports Ltd., 432 Boston Post Road, Weston, Mass. 02195. (617) 647- 5533.
* Yugo-tours, 350 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10001; (212) 563-2400 or (800) 223-5298.
* Amity Tours, One First Street, Suite H, Los Altos, Calif. 94022; (415) 941- 9275. Outside California: (800) 523-8406; in California: (800) 227-6928.
* Adriatic Tours, 691 West Tenth Street, San Pedro, Calif. 90731; (213) 548- 1446.
* Great Destinations, 40 East 49th Street, New York, N.Y. 10017; (212) 832- 7212 or (800) 221-4737.
* Executive Travel Advisors, 1541 Old Bayshore Highway, Burlingame, Calif. 94010; (800) 227-6282.
* New Horizons Travel, 587 Hancock Street, Quincy, Mass. 02170; (617) 471- 0066.
* Canada HBC Travel, 75 The Don Way West, Suite 909, Don Mills, Ontario, Canada M3C2E9; (416) 441-2080.