Zimbabwe has evidence tourists may be dead
| Harare, Zimbabwe
The Zimbabwe government has evidence that six foreign tourists kidnapped a year ago, including two Americans, may have been killed. Informed sources said no bodies had been recovered, but that information from captured rebels in the province of Matabeleland indicated the tourists were murdered by their captors within two days of being abducted on July 23, 1982.
The information was being checked, the sources said. But it was considered strong enough for concerned foreign governments to be told to advise next of kin.