* 1955 - Erwin D. Canham, editor of The Christian Science Monitor, and the Rev. John J. Grant, associate editor of Boston's Roman Catholic diocesan newspaper, help negotiate an end to a revolt at the Charlestown, Mass., state prison.
* 1971 - New York Times columnist Tom Wicker and Amsterdam News publisher Clarence Jones serve on panel of witnesses at the Attica, N.Y., prison during revolt.
* 1975 - Bert Wilson of WOR radio, Milton Lewis of WABC-TV, Tex Harris of Amsterdam News, and Bolivar Arellano of El Diario La Prensa meet with rebellious prisoners at House of Detention for Men, Rikers Island, N.Y.
* 1979 - KLAS-TV news director Bob Stoldal is member of negotiating team during uprising at a Las Vegas, Nev., city jail.
* 1981 - Philadelphia Daily News columnist Chuck Stone negotiates in siege at the Greaterford, Pa., state prison.
* 1982 - New York Daily News reporter Bella English serves as negotiator at Kings County Hospital, Brooklyn. Associated Press correspondent Steve Komarow answers nuclear war protestor's demand for a ''liaison'' to police in day-long takeover of the Washington Monument. WCVB-TV reporter Jorge Quiroga serves as intermediary in prisoner's dispute with prison administrators.
* 1983 - ABC-TV's Bob Berkowitz records talks with state officials over the release of 18 guards at Ossining, N.Y.