Gaines Post Jr., professor of history at the University of Texas, Austin, asserts that the liberally educated person exemplifies the following qualities:
* Literate and discerning participation in the life of the community.
* Historical and aesthetic perception.
* Critical awareness of the connections and dissimilarities among major fields of knowledge.
* Informed judgment of how knowledge can be used or abused.
* An appreciation of individual solitude and international independence.
For further discussion of these issues see ''The New Liberal Arts,'' by White , et al. (free), Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, 630 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10111.