Starting a cottage industry
Do you have an idea you'd like to develop into a product? Meg Hansson, founder of three successful cottage industries, has some practical advice:
* Be objective about your idea. Don't be ''possessed'' by it.
* Be sure you have a product people want. Test your idea.
* If you find your idea is ahead of your market, be brave enough to take risks, but stay hedged. Don't risk everything.
* Learn the financial aspects of the business. Don't forget to charge for your time. Account for overhead. Plan for growth.
* Ask questions. Talk to people knowledgeable in your field.
* Be persistent.