Poland: Western reports overstated?

Although the US government is suspending official food aid to Poland, individuals can make private donations. The State Department says that CARE and the Catholic Relief Services are the two principal agencies handling nongovernmental aid. Representatives of both say that monetary donations, rather than gifts of food, are most effective, since the agencies can buy food in bulk at more favorable prices than can individuals. The addresses are:

CARE, Food for Poland, 660 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016; and Catholic Relief Services, Tribute to Poland Fund, 1011 First Avenue, New York, NY 10022.

of stories this month > Get unlimited stories
You've read of 5 free stories

Only $1 for your first month.

Get unlimited Monitor journalism.