Taxes on capital gains

I receive a huge capital gain on shares bought 18 years ago. With my other income I am in a 20 percent bracket. As I understand it, 60 percent of my long-term capital gain is exempt. Then, I take 20 percent of the remaining 40 percent as regular income during the year I sell the stock. Is this correct? --

No. You are taking an extra step. At your 20 percent marginal tax rate, you should be including 40 percent of the long-term capital gain as ordinary income and paying 20 percent of that in actual taxes. For example, suppose you sold stock for $1,100 that you bought years ago for $100. Your long-term capital gain is $1,000. Present law permits you to exempt 60 percent, leaving $400 to be included as ordinary income when reporting for that year.

You've read  of  free articles. Subscribe to continue.
QR Code to Taxes on capital gains
Read this article in
QR Code to Subscription page
Start your subscription today