The Charlotte, N.C., Observer won a 1980 Pulitzer Prize for meritorious public service for its series on "Brown lung: a case of deadly neglect." Some of the other Pulitzers announced Monday went to:
* The staff of the Longview, Wash., Daily News, for distinguished general local reporting for coverage of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens.
* Clark Hallas and Robert B. Lowe of the Arizona Daily Star, for special local reporting for their investigation of the University of Arizona Athletic Department.
* John M. Crewdson of the New York Times, for national reporting for his coverage of illegal aliens and immigration.
* Shirley Christian of the Miami Herald, for international reporting for dispatches from Central America.
* The late John Kennedy Toole, for fiction, for his comic novel, "A Confederacy of Dunces."
* Larry C. Price of the Fort Worth, Texas, Star-Telegram, for spot ne ws photography for a photograph from Liberia.