Get plan and architect for Victorian alteration

We have just moved into a 90-year-old Victorian house which has three ugly additions. We want to undo these eyesores, and prefer a ready-cut type of company to do the work. After 20 years abroad, we have lost touch in many ways. How can we cut the costs on a major building project such as this? Ruth R. Hubrich Hillsdale, N. J.

What you need first is an architect or building designer. The design paper work is germane to the job. Thus it should precede any demolition or reconstruction.

Interview two or three experienced, Conreputable architects in your area. If I were in your place, I would prefer an individual who is sensitive to the Victorian style as well as the practicalities of remodeling.

In other words, choose an architect you intuitively feel "right" about.

After the architectural schematics are developed, you will have a better idea of the cost. Do not plunge into working plans and specifications until your budget and estimated costs are parallel.

When the working plans are complete, the architect can help to guide you to a builder who is experienced in remodeling.

It would be a great surprise to me if a ready-cut or prefabricated firm could be of practical use in Victorian reconstruction.

I suggest you get in touch with the NAtional Association of Home Manufacturers, 1619 Massachusetts Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20036, and ask for a list of its members in your area. You can also ask about ready-cut materials from a large nearby lumber dealer.

of 5 stories this month > Get unlimited stories
You've read 5 of 5 free stories

Only $1 for your first month.

Get unlimited Monitor journalism.