Topic: Sud-Kivu Province
All Content
-
Africa Monitor Is a new peace process starting in eastern Congo?
Eleven heads of state will soon gather to sign an agreement meant to help end the latest wave of violence in the eastern Congo. But will it have the teeth to change the situation on the ground?
-
In Goma thousands of Congolese army, police, defect to rebel side
On Tuesday, the M23 rebels seized control of Goma, a key city in eastern Congo. Congolese soldiers and police have joined the rebels in droves. The presidents of Congo and Rwanda, which is said to back the M23, held emergency talks about the situation.
-
Assassination attempt on anti-rape doctor raises fears for aid workers in Congo
Dr. Dennis Mukwege recently spoke out at the United Nations General Assembly about the prevalence of rape in the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo.
-
Africa Monitor Congo president counters call for Army defection by rebel Bosco
President Kabila suspended Army operations and consolidated forces in response to Army commander Bosco Ntaganda's efforts to encourage defections last week, writes a blogger
-
Africa Monitor Congo's Bosco, wanted by the ICC, launching rebellion
Bosco doesn't control many Congolese Army commanders, but he has been able to stitch together a formidable alliance of former armed group members through intimidation, writes a guest blogger.
-
Africa Monitor Fear of military subversion in the Democratic Republic of Congo
Former military leaders and a failed presidential candidate all pose threats to unity of Democratic Republic of Congo military, says guest blogger Fidel Bafilemba.
-
Africa Monitor Recent rebel attacks in Congo highlight complexity of protecting civilians
In the volatile eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo, rebel attacks highlight the dire need for political, security, and justice reform.
-
Eastern Congo braces for election results
Guest blogger Laura Heaton writes that vote tallies indicate incumbent President Joseph Kabila remains the frontrunner, but there is a chance of violence if Kabila is declared the winner.
-
Closer look at Congo preliminary vote tally raises questions
Guest blogger Jason K. Stearns finds some surprises in the preliminary vote tally from Congo's Nov. 28 presidential elections; final results are expected Friday.
-
Congo election: Voters in the Kivu provinces worry about Congo after Kabila
In North and South Kivu provinces, voters are worried about possible regional outcomes, including secession, if incumbent President Joseph Kabila is not reelected.
-
In remote eastern Congo, consensus is that upcoming election won't be fair
In eastern Congo's South Kivu region, one of the most-conflict ridden areas of the country, pessimism is widespread, particularly when it comes to the candidates themselves.
-
Catching up on Congo elections
Guest blogger Jason Stearns recaps some of the recent developments leading up to the Democratic Republic of the Congo's elections, scheduled for next month.
-
As Congo subdues some armed groups, new ones emerge
Congolese President Kabila said his government has managed to gain control of eastern Congo's armed groups, but the emergence of new armed groups undermines his success.
-
Congo's voter registration numbers don't add up
A report from International Crisis Group found that voter registration numbers in eastern Congo included fake voters, children, foreigners, and voters registered multiple times. [Editor's note: Due to an editing error, the headline and subheadline named the wrong country. It has been corrected.]
-
Congo election season in full swing, along with electoral problems
The Congo election season is fully underway, but voter registration fraud, delays in the legislative elections, and vote buying are just a few of things disrupting the election.
-
Congo conflict minerals bill hurts the miners it hopes to help
Guest blogger Laura Seay writes that a US ban on conflict minerals amounts to a de facto boycott of the Congolese mining industry, hurting Congo's civilians by removing a key source of income.
-
Military shake-ups could worsen Congo's mass rape problem
Shuffling and regrouping among Congo's troops is creating a volatile environment that encourages violence and potentially mass rape, as shown in the rape of at least 120 women in early June.
-
Congo mining reform is making progress, but oversight is still lacking
Guest blogger Jason Stearns explains further his assertion last week that Congo mining industry reform deserves 'cautious optimism.'
-
Small but positive signs of progress with Congo's 'conflict minerals'
Recent actions taken against Congo's 'conflict mineral' trade by companies and the international community signal that although progress is slow, it is happening.
-
Congolese living in mining region blame 'Obama's law' for economic struggles
There is widespread misunderstanding in Congo about US legislation targeting conflict minerals.
-
Congo lifts mining ban
The Enough Project writes that the ban, imposed by President Joseph Kabila in September, created more problems than it solved.
-
Congo is more than rape and minerals
There are political dynamics and logic underlying the brutality in the Democratic Republic of the Congo that journalists need to explain.
-
Congo's army reaches breakthrough with Kivus' rebel group
Congo's national army and the Forces Républicaines Fédéralistes reached a breakthrough in peace negotiations this week, which could improve the situation for civilians in the region.
-
Amid rumors of rebel groups unifying in Congo, countries in region discuss joint military action
According to documents obtained by guest blogger Jason Stearns, some of Africa's Great Lakes countries are discussing yet another round of military intervention in the eastern part of Congo.
-
Is Congo's Army fighting for civilians or minerals?
Recent fighting between the Congolese Army and the FDLR rebel group may be motivated by the military's desire to control minerals in the eastern Congo, writes ENOUGH blogger, Fidel Bafilemba.







Become part of the Monitor community