Topic: Nord-Kivu Province
All Content
-
Africa Monitor Are rape statistics in the Congo being inflated to increase aid?
A new article in Foreign Policy claims one Congolese village over-reported rape in order to secure more foreign aid. Its author says international focus on sexual violence has diverted attention from the country's underlying problems.
-
Africa Monitor Eastern Congo's new peace process: What you need to know
In late February, 11 African nations signed a new 'vision document' for peace in the eastern Congo. Regional expert Meredith Hutchison breaks down what it could mean for the region's future.
-
Africa Monitor In eastern Congo, a new peace deal brings halting optimism
Eleven countries signed a deal this week to bring troops and support to the conflict-ridden region, but stability is still a long way off, writes Tom Murphy.
-
ICC acquits Congolese warlord for crimes against humanity
Congolese warlord Ngudjolo was acquitted of all charges of war crimes at the International Criminal Court today, raising doubts about the case against better-known, co-accused Katanga.
-
Congo rejects rebels' truce talks proposal
Rebels fighting against the Democratic Republic of Congo government have made their way to just outside the city of Goma, while refugees again flee from the rebel attack.
-
Congo rebels take eastern towns as conflict escalates
Tens of thousands of civilians flee, as Congolese rebels take a number of towns. For now, neither the government nor renegade troops are backing down.
-
Africa Monitor Is there a "Kivu conspiracy" to undermine Congo? Hardly
Guest blogger Laura Seay, during visit to the Congolese city of Goma, looks into allegations that the ongoing rebellion of Bosco Ntaganda is a conspiracy to undermine Congolese control.
-
Africa Monitor Congo president counters call for Army defection by rebel Bosco
President Kabila suspended Army operations and consolidated forces in response to Army commander Bosco Ntaganda's efforts to encourage defections last week, writes a blogger
-
Africa Monitor Attempted rebellion in Congo curtailed by specially trained troops
Congo's Bosco, wanted by the ICC, asked loyalist troops to defect from the Army and support him. But Kinshasa deployed a battalion of Belgian-trained special forces, pushing Bosco out of town.
-
Africa Monitor Congo army reclaims two mines from rebel groups
Congolese civil society and mining associations say these mines should now be guarded by specially trained mining police to better guarantee the end of conflict minerals.
-
Reflections on Congo's elections
Guest blogger Jason K. Stearns, observing the elections in Bukavu, says that the elections went well in most areas, but violence and irregularities may tarnish the results in some areas.
-
Congo election: Voters in the Kivu provinces worry about Congo after Kabila
In North and South Kivu provinces, voters are worried about possible regional outcomes, including secession, if incumbent President Joseph Kabila is not reelected.
-
Congo elections mostly peaceful, but fraught with problems
Guest blogger Jason Stearns received reports of delays opening polling stations, road blocks, protests, voting fraud, and violence at polling stations – just a few of the challenges in Congo's elections.
-
Congo presidential candidates bring their campaigns to the east
Incumbent President Kabila and challenger Tshisekedi visited Goma in eastern Congo ahead of the Nov. 28 election. Tshisekedi's message has become increasingly provocative and violent.
-
Congo's voter registration numbers don't add up
A report from International Crisis Group found that voter registration numbers in eastern Congo included fake voters, children, foreigners, and voters registered multiple times. [Editor's note: Due to an editing error, the headline and subheadline named the wrong country. It has been corrected.]
-
Congo election season in full swing, along with electoral problems
The Congo election season is fully underway, but voter registration fraud, delays in the legislative elections, and vote buying are just a few of things disrupting the election.
-
Military shake-ups could worsen Congo's mass rape problem
Shuffling and regrouping among Congo's troops is creating a volatile environment that encourages violence and potentially mass rape, as shown in the rape of at least 120 women in early June.
-
Congo mining reform is making progress, but oversight is still lacking
Guest blogger Jason Stearns explains further his assertion last week that Congo mining industry reform deserves 'cautious optimism.'
-
Small but positive signs of progress with Congo's 'conflict minerals'
Recent actions taken against Congo's 'conflict mineral' trade by companies and the international community signal that although progress is slow, it is happening.
-
Local peace builder Henri Ladyi helps Congolese turn from violence
Henri Ladyi formed the Center for Conflict Resolution in the Democratic Republic of Congo to oppose widespread rape and child soldiering.
-
Shocking Congo rape statistics show husbands - not just soldiers, rebels - perpetuate the problem
More than 400,000 women were raped in a 12-month period in 2006-07, according to a new study.
-
UN, Congo government try to formalize the mining industry
The plan for formalizing Congo's mining industry relies on the removal of armed groups from the process, but that is a difficult task.
-
Congo lifts mining ban
The Enough Project writes that the ban, imposed by President Joseph Kabila in September, created more problems than it solved.
-
Congo is more than rape and minerals
There are political dynamics and logic underlying the brutality in the Democratic Republic of the Congo that journalists need to explain.
-
Congo's army reaches breakthrough with Kivus' rebel group
Congo's national army and the Forces Républicaines Fédéralistes reached a breakthrough in peace negotiations this week, which could improve the situation for civilians in the region.







Become part of the Monitor community