Saudi Arabia said Wednesday that it had arrested 110 Al Qaeda suspects, about half of them foreigners. The Kingdom said the detained men were plotting suicide attacks on the country's oil installations.
Two Yemen-based militants dressed as women, one of whom was a former Guantánamo prisoner, were intercepted at a Saudi checkpoint last week.
Signed by 77 activists, a petition sent by express mail Wednesday night calls for an elected parliament and public access to the trials of 991 suspects in Al Qaeda-inspired violence.
Older leaders among the minority aim to peacefully address discrimination but warn that younger Shiites are pushing for militancy.
Militants in Yemen threatened Monday to strike the US Embassy for a second time.
About 3,200 former militants have completed the ambitious program aimed at persuading them to disavow violent Islamist ideologies.
Afghan and NATO officials are seeing a rise in numbers of foreign fighters in Afghanistan at the same time US officials say attacks by Al Qaeda in Iraq have sharply dropped.
Detainees are accused of having links to Al Qaeda, but human rights groups fear arbitrary arrests have been made.
Fouad Farhan, arrested Dec. 10, was released Saturday after being held for more than four months without charges.