Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


Terrorism & Security

India accuses Pakistani Army officer of involvement in Mumbai attacks

The colonel, accused of facilitating communications between the attackers and handlers in Pakistan, was named along with 34 other suspects.

(Page 2 of 2)



According to the English-language Indian daily, the Hindustan Times, another civilian employee of the Pakistani telecommunications agency SCO is also wanted for questioning by the Mumbai police.

Skip to next paragraph

Recent posts

The Mumbai Police Cyber Crime Cell tracked the two officials – Colonel R. Saadat Ullah and Khurram Shazad – during their search for Kharak Singh, the name used to open a VoIP account with Callphonex, a US-based service provider. The account was opened on October 21 and 22, 2008. On October 27, an initial payment of $250 was wired to the account via Moneygram. The moneygram agent, Paracha International Exchange, was traced to Lahore....
During investigation, it came to light that the communication with Callphonex was made using the e-mail ID kharaktelco@yahoo.com. The ID was accessed from at least 10 Internet Protocol addresses. It is from one of these that the cell traced the location of Saadat Ullah and Shazad.

In response to these allegations, the Pakistani Army minimized its connection to the Mumbai attacks, reports The Times of India.

However, the Pakistan army downplayed its link to the Mumbai terror carnage and said that the chargesheet filed on Wednesday is very vague on the link.
Speaking to TIMES NOW, Brigadier Azmat Ali, Pak army spokesperson said, "[The] chargesheet does not accurately identify armyman allegedly linked to 26/11. There are many Colonel Sadatullahs in the Pakistan army. We are trying to find out if this is true or it is all a media speculation."

On Wednesday, Indian police charged Pakistani national Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab, the lone surviving gunman of the Mumbai attacks, along with two Indian nationals, with "waging war" against India, reports the BBC. All three could face the death penalty.

The BBC report adds, however, that the Pakistani Army has not been directly implicated in the Mumbai attacks.

[The charge sheet] does not establish any connection to the underworld of Mumbai nor does it mention any Inter-Services Intelligence (Pakistan intelligence agency) or Pakistani army officials.

As Mr. Qasab's trial begins, the Pakistani authorities have "raised the prospect that Indian authorities could have padded evidence to buttress its claims that Pakistani nationals were involved in the attacks," reports the Indian daily, The Hindu.

Last month, Islamabad submitted a 30-point questionnaire to New Delhi, in response to a formal dossier of evidence handed over by India. For the most part, the questionnaire sought evidence that will be needed for a possible criminal trial of Lashkar terrorists in that country.
But, government sources told The Hindu, several elements of the questionnaire have caused disquiet – among them, thinly-veiled insinuations that evidence was tampered with and allegations that the role of Indian nationals in facilitating the attack were being glossed over.
Permissions

Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story