Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

  • Advertisements

Terrorism & Security

U.S. soldier convicted of assault in Iraq death

The Kirkuk incident was not manslaughter, jury finds. Trial for 2005 Haditha killings is slated for March 3.

By Simon Montlake / February 21, 2008



0

A United States soldier was found guilty Wednesday by a military jury in Hawaii of aggravated assault over the death last June of an unarmed civilian near the northern Iraq city of Kirkuk. But the jury acquitted the soldier, Army Spc. Christopher Shore of Winder, Georgia, of manslaughter. The assault conviction carries a maximum jail term of eight years and dishonorable discharge.

Skip to next paragraph

Recent posts

At the same time, a pretrial hearing began Wednesday for US Marine Staff Sgt. Frank Wuterich, who led a squad that allegedly killed 24 Iraqi civilians in Haditha in 2005. Sergeant Wuterich is accused of voluntary manslaughter and other crimes in the Haditha killings, which was first uncovered by Time magazineand led to criticism of the marines' conduct as well as comparisons with past wartime massacres, including My Lai in Vietnam. Time later issued a correction about its story.

The court martial of Wuterich and other Haditha-related suspects are the largest so far involving US soldiers accused of unlawfully killing civilians and obstructing justice in Iraq. However, a PBS documentary aired Tuesday cast doubt over the accuracy of media coverage and commentary on the incident.

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that Army Specialist Shore had initially been charged with premeditated murder over the June 23 incident in Kirkuk. But the charge was later reduced to manslaughter by the outgoing commander of the 25th Infantry Division.

Shore said that he was ordered to shoot the unnamed Iraqi man by his patrol leader during a nighttime raid in the town of Al-Shaheed outside Kirkuk. The civilian was later pronounced dead, with multiple shot wounds in the head and chest, the jury was told. The patrol leader, Sgt. 1st Class Trey Corrales, faces separate charges over the killing, including premeditated murder and obstructing justice.

Shore was expressionless when the verdict was read in court at Wheeler Army Airfield and declined to comment as he hugged friends and relatives outside, the Associated Press reports. He later spoke emotionally in court about the stress of losing members of his platoon in combat.

"I know it's real easy if you've never been in this situation to Monday quarterback and say what the law says," he told the court. "You don't know until you're there."
Permissions

Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Estela de Carlotto has spent nearly 34 years searching for her own missing grandson.

Estela de Carlotto hunts for Argentina's grandchildren 'stolen' decades ago

Estela de Carlotto heads the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo, who seek to reunite children taken from their mothers during Argentina's military dictatorship with their real families.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!