Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

  • Advertisements

For many foreigners fleeing Egypt, a chaotic and tense exit

More than 1,800 Americans have evacuated from Egypt and another 167 were reportedly waiting to leave Cairo's airport today as violent clashes continued.

By Correspondent / February 3, 2011

Tourists make their way to a terminal to attempt to leave Egypt, at Cairo airport, on Feb. 2. The United Nations today began evacuating employees, more than 5,000 people are reportedly waiting in the Cairo airport for a flight out amid the escalating unrest.

Victoria Hazou/AP

Enlarge Photos

0

Boston

With violence erupting in Cairo’s streets, many foreigners are clamoring to get out of Egypt. Some are being evacuated by their home governments while others, frustrated by responses from embassies, are booking their own flights or opting to stay.

Skip to next paragraph

More than 5,000 people are reportedly waiting in the Cairo airport for a flight out amid the escalating unrest. Hundreds of people have been injured and at least 10 killed since Wednesday, when supporters of President Hosni Mubarak clashed with antigovernment protesters in central Cairo's Tahrir Square.

Justin Martin, one of some 1,800 Americans evacuated over the past week, knows first-hand the feeling of helplessness in attempting to flee. The professor at the American University in Cairo says that he and his wife might still be Cairo if he didn't have a friend with embassy contacts who tipped him off to US government-chartered flights preparing to leave.

“We had no communication with the embassy whatsoever,” he said in a telephone interview Wednesday from Athens, where a Jan. 31 evacuation flight had taken him and his wife. The embassy's emergency hotline referred callers to a website, he says, even though Internet had been out for several days at that point. There was no answer on the embassy phone lines.

“The grandest function of embassies abroad is to protect citizens in danger,” Professor Martin says. He says that the US Embassy of Cairo, at least up until the day he and his wife left, had failed to do that.

US continues to charter evacuation flights

Some 3,000 Americans have contacted the US Embassy of Cairo requesting to leave Egypt, and there are plans to continue evacuations over the next few days, according to the US State Department. The Associated Press reports that there were 160 Americans waiting at the airport Thursday morning.

Permissions

Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Estela de Carlotto has spent nearly 34 years searching for her own missing grandson.

Estela de Carlotto hunts for Argentina's grandchildren 'stolen' decades ago

Estela de Carlotto heads the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo, who seek to reunite children taken from their mothers during Argentina's military dictatorship with their real families.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!