Oklahoma City tornado: more ways to help
A massive tornado tore through parts of the Oklahoma City area May 19, leaving a path of destruction in its wake. Here are some of the ways you can help.
UPDATE (5/21): Relief is now pouring in from all over the world and President Obama has ordered federal aid to assist in the recovery. If you are not in the Oklahoma City area, the best thing to do right now is to donate using one of the links below. If you are in the area, local organizations are accepting gloves, flashlights, boots, and other rescue materials. Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief has a list of locations accepting donations.Skip to next paragraph
In Pictures Facing the devastation of the Oklahoma tornadoes
Adam Braun hands out pencils – and hope
Pop-up stores help new businesses test the market
Heather Fleming wants to solve poverty through better design
New source of jobs for India's rural women (hint: it's in your shampoo)
Jeff Kirschner uses social media to fight littering
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
Thousands of people have been displaced by a massive tornado that ripped through Moore, Okla., in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area, Monday. Relief organizations are scrambling to bring aid to the area. You can help right now by taking the following actions:
• Donate to the United Way of Central Oklahoma, which can be earmarked specifically for tornado relief.
• Donate to the Red Cross, which has mobilized to help tornado victims throughout the Midwest. Text RED CROSS to 90999 to donate $10.
• Text GIVE OK to 80088 to donate $10 to the Tornado Relief Fund on GlobalGiving. You can also donate online.
• Donate to the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma Disaster Relief Fund. All donations go to "providing tree removal services, laundry services, and meals to victims."
• If you're in the pathway, follow these tips on what to do during a tornado.
• Residents are being asked for gloves, boots, toiletries, shovels, trash bags, dust masks, or cash. Bring these items to:
News 9 Studio
7401 North Kelley Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73111