China moves to formally garrison South China Sea
Despite protests from other Asian countries, China's military is making moves to up their presence in the disputed South China Sea.
Anti-China protesters chant slogans during an anti-China protest at a park in Hanoi July 22. Vietnamese protesters demonstrated in Hanoi on Sunday against China's moves to strengthen its claim on disputed islands in the South China Sea.
Reuters
Beijing
China's powerful Central Military Commission has approved the formal establishment of a military garrison for the disputed South China Sea state media said on Sunday, in a move which could further boost tensions in already fractious region.
Skip to next paragraphSubscribe Today to the Monitor
China has a substantial military presence in the South China Sea and the move is essentially a further assertion of its sovereignty claims after it last month upped the administrative status of the seas to the level of a city, which it calls Sansha.
The official Xinhua news agency said the Sansha garrison would be responsible for "national defense mobilisation ... guarding the city and supporting local emergency rescue and disaster relief" and "carrying out military missions".
It provided no further details.








These comments are not screened before publication. Constructive debate about the above story is welcome, but personal attacks are not. Please do not post comments that are commercial in nature or that violate any copyright[s]. Comments that we regard as obscene, defamatory, or intended to incite violence will be removed. If you find a comment offensive, you may flag it.