Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


Negros earthquake: President Aquino criticizes shoddy road building

Negros earthquake: President Aquino visited Negros province where an earthquake struck Monday. Dozens of people are still missing, perhaps buried in landslides caused by the 6.9 magnitude quake.

By Oliver TevesAssociated Press / February 8, 2012

Philippines President Benigno Aquino III, in yellow shirt, inspects the quake-stricken La Libertad township, Negros Oriental province in central Philippines Wednesday Feb. 8, 2012..

(AP Photo/Jay Morales, Malacanang Palace Photo Bureau)

Enlarge

Manila

Philippine officials conceded Wednesday that there was little hope of finding any survivors among 71 people still buried in landslides set off by a powerful earthquake, as jittery residents stayed away from their homes amid a flurry of aftershocks.

Skip to next paragraph

Soldiers, rescue volunteers and villagers using picks and shovels have not found anyone alive under concrete rubble and tons of rocks and mountain soil since the magnitude-6.9 quake struck two townships in central Negros Oriental province on Monday. So far, 26 bodies have been recovered and identified.

"I am still hoping against hope, but the chances (of recovering survivors) are very slim. If you see the landslide, it's huge and there is no chance of them surviving," said Benito Ramos, head of the Office of Civil Defense.

IN PICTURES: Negros earthquake

Ramos accompanied President Benigno Aquino III on a visit to the disaster area, during which Aquino ordered the immediate construction of detour roads to revive commerce and speed up the delivery of relief supplies.

Aquino criticized the shoddy road construction, while Ramos said bridges that were damaged were not built to sustain such a strong quake.

Eleven bridges reportedly were damaged in Negros Oriental, three of them beyond repair.

Philippine seismologists said they were previously unaware of the undersea fault line that caused the temblor, which sent rocks, trees and other debris crashing down mountainsides in the two worst-hit towns of Guihulngan and nearby La Libertad.

Bottles of potable water, which has been in short supply, began to arrive, while a ship brought water purifiers.

Ramos said many jittery villagers refused to return to their houses, fearing more damage from numerous aftershocks and opting instead to sleep in vacant fields and parks.

"We could see how severe nature's wrath was," Aquino said. "The aftershocks are enlarging the cracks of the roads."

With more bodies expected to be recovered, Guihulngan Mayor Ernesto Reyes said his town of 100,000 people might run out of coffins. At least 23 people were still missing there.

The Philippines is in the Pacific "Ring of Fire," where earthquakes and volcanic activity are common. The damage and casualties are compounded by poor construction in violation of building codes in the impoverished nation. A magnitude-7.7 quake killed nearly 2,000 people in northern Luzon in 1990.

___

Associated Press writers Hrvoje Hranjski and Teresa Cerojano contributed to this report.

IN PICTURES: Negros earthquake

Permissions

Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Danny Bent poses at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Mass.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, Danny Bent took on a cross-country challenge

The athlete-adventurer co-founded a relay run called One Run for Boston that started in Los Angeles and ended at the marathon finish line to raise funds for victims.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!