NATO admits Afghan airstrike killed civilians
Feeding the controversy, the Taliban joined Western nations in calling for an investigation into the Sept. 4 attack in Kunduz Province.
(Page 2 of 2)
The Taliban issued their own statement via email on Monday, claiming that 79 people were killed and demanding an inquiry under international law. It highlights that the Taliban are as capable of waging a public relations war as much as a real one, reports Agence France-Presse.Skip to next paragraph
2011 Reflections: Suddenly, a new era in the Middle East
2011 Reflections: the end of a landmark year for Latin America
2011 Reflections: Africa rises, taking charge of its affairs
How the 'Year of the Protester' played out in Europe
In Prague, a tale of communism past
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
"Without any doubt a big crime... has been committed in Kunduz province and civilians have been targeted," said the statement.
"International law, the Charter of the United Nations and the Geneva Conventions are very clear on such crimes," the Taliban said.
"If the United Nations, Amnesty International and human rights organisations ... really recognize human rights or hold them important, then the truth and the lies will be known in this affair," the document added.
The Independent Electoral Commission previously said that results from 447 polling stations had been thrown out. That amounts to about 200,000 votes, it said today.
Daoud Ali Najafi, the commission's chief electoral officer, explained: "The numbers were suspicious and the results did not match with the reconciliation form [used to double-check results]."
The American ambassador and a senior UN envoy met President Hamid Karzai on Monday night to discuss their concerns.