Subscribe

Taliban claims responsibility for deadly Kabul guest house attack

An American is among 14 people who were killed in the attack in the Afghan capital.

  • close
    Afghan police stand guard outside Park Palace guesthouse Thursday, May 14, 2015 after it was attacked by gunmen in Kabul, Afghanistan.
    Allauddin Khan/AP
    View Caption
  • About video ads
    View Caption
of

The Afghan Taliban claimed responsibility on Thursday for an attack on a popular guesthouse in Kabul that killed at least 14 people, including foreigners attending a dinner and arriving for a concert.

Four Indian nationals, a Briton, an American and a Kazakh national were confirmed among the dead in a five-hour assault at Park Palace guesthouse in an upscale neighborhood of central Kabul.

The attack heightened a sense of insecurity in the Afghan capital and throughout the country as the Taliban step up attacks following the withdrawal of most foreign troops.

Kabul's police chief said 44 people were rescued.

A day after the assault, there was still confusion about how many gunmen attacked. A statement from President Ashraf Ghani's office said there were three gunmen, while Kabul police said they could confirm just one.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in an emailed statement that one of the insurgents' operatives carried out the attack with the aim of killing foreign citizens in retaliation for the United States and its allies supporting the Kabul government of President Ashraf Ghani.

"The occupying forces should realize that they are not safe from our attacks under any cover or in any location," Mujahid said.

The death toll rose from five to 14 on Thursday as more bodies were found.

"It was one attacker and we are still investigating how he got in," police criminal investigation chief Farid Afzali Kabul said.

A Kabul security official put the number of dead at 14, and the number was confirmed by the United Nations Assistance mission in a statement.

The US and Indian embassies and Kazakhstan's Foreign Ministry confirmed their citizens were among the dead, and an Afghan with British nationality was also killed.

"With regret we can confirm that a British dual national was killed in last night's attack on a Kabul guesthouse," a British embassy spokesman said on Thursday.

The shooting started on Wednesday night as some guests gathered for a dinner at the guest house and others were arriving for a concert.

A spate of similar attacks in Kabul last year has dampened the city's once-vibrant social scene.

Late last year, a suicide bomber detonated at a French cultural center performance, killing one person.

In March 2014, Taliban gunmen killed nine people - including three children - in the upscale Serena Hotel in Kabul.

Two months earlier, attackers stormed into a popular Lebanese restaurant in the capital and gunned down 21 people, including three United Nations staff and a senior IMF official.

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome
 
 
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
FREE Newsletters
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
 

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK