Subscribe

Why did Albuquerque schools hire a man facing sexual assault charges?

New Mexico attorney general Hector Balderas announced an investigation into how Jason Martinez, who faces sexual assault charges, was hired by Albuquerque's public school district before completing a background check.

  • close
    New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas talks during a news conference in Albuquerque, N.M., in January. Balderas announced Monday that he is launching an investigation into how the state's largest school district hired a high-level administrator who faces child sex abuse charges.
    Susan Montoya Bryan/AP/File
    View Caption
  • About video ads
    View Caption
of

New Mexico's attorney general is launching an investigation into how the state's largest school district hired a high- level administrator who faces child sex abuse charges.

Attorney General Hector Balderas announced Monday his office will look into why Albuquerque Public Schools' safety protocols were breached and Jason Martinez was hired in June before a background check was completed.

Martinez resigned abruptly last week. It later surfaced that he faces six felony counts of sexual assault on a child in Colorado.

Superintendent Luis Valentino was informed multiple times about Martinez refusing to complete his background check but ignored those concerns, according to a lawyer for Karen Rudys, interim assistant superintendent for human resources.

Valentino did not immediately respond to an email from The Associated Press seeking comment Monday.

"I'm very concerned about the allegations that safety protocols were breached at APS," Balderas said in a statement released Monday. "I've decided to initiate a formal review of the matter, and I will be communicating with the district today."

District spokesman Rigo Chavez also did not immediately return an email from the AP. No phone listing could be found for Martinez, and Chavez previously said he did not know if Martinez had an attorney.

The controversy over Martinez's hiring has placed heavy scrutiny on Valentino, who took over the district in June. It began after text messages from Valentino were leaked concerning Chief Financial Officer Don Moya, who recently was placed on paid administrative leave.

The messages showed Valentino was trying to text state Secretary of Education Hanna Skandera but accidentally texted Moya. He wrote that he was going to "go after" Moya for running "roughshot."

Emails later showed Moya and Martinez were fighting over a proposal.

The school board met behind closed doors for five hours late Sunday. An audience crowded the meeting, and some demanded that Valentino step down.

President Don Duran read a statement apologizing for the Martinez controversy, but the board did not make a decision.

The board is scheduled to meet Thursday.

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome
 
 
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
FREE Newsletters
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
 

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK