Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


The Monitor Breakfast

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio calls on Attorney General Holder to resign (+video)

A rising Republican star and the lone GOP Hispanic in the US Senate, Marco Rubio says Congress has reached a 'point of no return' with the embattled attorney general.

By / June 21, 2012

Sen. Marco Rubio (R) of Florida (second from right) speaks at a Monitor-sponsored breakfast for reporters on June 21 at the St. Regis Hotel in Washington.

Michael Bonfigli / The Christian Science Monitor

Enlarge

Washington

Sen. Marco Rubio (R) of Florida called on US Attorney General Eric Holder to resign Thursday.

Skip to next paragraph
Senator Marco Rubio speaks at the Monitor Breakfast on June 21, 2012.

Speaking at a Monitor-hosted breakfast, the freshman senator was responding to the Obama administration’s decision Wednesday to claim executive privilege in refusing to hand over Justice Department documents to a congressional committee investigating a failed anti-gun-trafficking operation.

“I think we’ve about reached the point of no return on this issue,” Senator Rubio said Thursday, after replying “yes” to a reporter’s question on whether he believes Mr. Holder should step down. “I think they’ve been given multiple opportunities to answer very legitimate questions that the Congress has.”

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee voted along party lines Wednesday to find Holder in contempt over the refusal to turn over certain documents on Operation Fast and Furious, a move Democrats – including Holder – decried as politically motivated.

The claim of executive privilege by the Obama administration escalated the conflict with committee chairman Darrell Issa (R) of California, who launched an investigation into the Phoenix-based “gun-walking” operation in the spring of 2011.

Rubio, a rising Republican star, joins presumptive GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, at least five other senators, and more than 125 members of the House in demanding that Holder step down.

“We know for a fact that something they told the Congress was not true,” Rubio said. “And now I think it’s very legitimate for the Congress to enquire as to why we were told something that wasn’t true, and they refuse to provide materials to prove that.”

Rubio wasn’t specific on the issue of falsehoods. Though it is known that last year, a Justice Department official asserted in a letter to lawmakers that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms had not knowingly allowed illegally purchased guns to be trafficked into Mexico, then retracted the claim 10 months later. On Wednesday, the Justice Department retracted a statement that Holder had made to the Senate Judiciary Committee during a hearing last week, when he claimed to have been briefed about similar gunwalking tactics used in the Bush administration by then-Attorney General Michael Mukasey. That claim had been made "inadvertently," the Justice Department said, in a letter.

Rubio said he believed the House had provided Holder with adequate opportunities in which to answer questions without endangering the government’s ability to operate.

“Invoking executive privilege at the 11th hour yesterday was probably the last straw in that regard, and I think we’re now at the point of no return,” Rubio said. “I don’t know how the attorney general can continue to exercise that office with any level of credibility after the decision that was made yesterday.”

The claim of executive privilege was the first of President Obama’s tenure.

Permissions

Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story
The Monitor Breakfast on FORA.tv

Subscribe for full video access to one of Washington's premier forums

  • Full-length Breakfast videos
  • Access to the video archives
  • E-mail alerts after every Breakfast event

Sign up for:

Sign up for full video access

Already a subscriber?

Log-in

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Danny Bent poses at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Mass.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, Danny Bent took on a cross-country challenge

The athlete-adventurer co-founded a relay run called One Run for Boston that started in Los Angeles and ended at the marathon finish line to raise funds for victims.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!
[Alt-Text]